Thursday, September 27, 2007

Tom and Jerry?

Last night, as I lay cowering in my bed, I realized something. When there is a mouse in the house, it is NOTHING like the cute little cartoon, Tom and Jerry!!! In that cartoon I'm always rooting for the mouse, Jerry, as I'm sure most everyone else is. But in real life I am wishing nothing but DEATH AND DESTRUCTION on the little varmint! Ugghh!! I guess I never realize just how much I hate something until I'm brought face to face with it!

So, a few nights ago, I was putting away the dishes that had dried in the drainboard. And it was late enough that the kids were in bed and it was dark and such. And as I've explained, a bit, before there isn't tons of lighting here so when it gets dark outside, it kinda gets dark inside too. There's the one big propane light in the kitchen and then everywhere else you have to take a flashlight or oil lamp with you when you go (which, as you might realize, causes a lot of shadows to dance). Anyways, as I was putting the dishes away I hear a weird little rustling or scratching sound, that sounds like it's coming from inside or near the stove. *side note* The Coleman Camp stove that I've been using sits on top of the old gas range that is not working. *end side note* So, I decided that it was definitely coming from inside the gas range and asked, calmly and casually, "What's that noise?" And Andrew says, calmly and casually, "Oh, probably a mouse." Okay, so I had a minor heart palpitation but figured maybe he was joking with me (cause he knew it would get my goat). But then, in the next instant, Iris says, "Yeah, I saw a mouse run along side the tub and through the plastic "wall" last night when I was in the bathroom." And she said it like it was nothing! So, then, Karisa starts to hyperventilate a little bit! So I said "Oh, really? Interesting."

So, yeah, there's definitely a mouse in THIS house! Yikes! I know it happens at home, in Goshen, too but when my mom had to deal with mice at least I didn't have to LIVE there, with the little skanky varmints!! Anyways, as there is a little baby in the house now, Iris and Andrew are up, several different times during the night and so since that incident other stuff has happened. Let me fill you in.

So, the night before last, Andrew put together some rat poison stuff to set out. So, that very night, Iris was in the kitchen at the sink and saw a stupid little mouse head, peek out from behind the stove, like it was gonna run out onto the counter. (As we know it does because there's been mice droppings on the counter in the mornings). Eeekk! So, she put some of the rat poison right up there, where he would see it right away if he came from the stove onto the counter. Well, so this morning, we thought maybe we'd gotten him and would need to check for a dead mouse body (my favorite kind!)! But we were gonna wait until this morning to check, in the light.

So, last night, I was sitting on the couch, reading a book (yes another one of those so silly "Christian" romances that seem to think missionary dating is okay) as I was waiting for my bath time. Anyways, sitting on the end of the couch nearest the fireplace (that is at my right), I all of a sudden see a dark, small, furry "object" slide/crawl down the side of the chimney and the wall (like where they come together and meet)! OH MY WORD, I'M SO SURPRISED THAT I DIDN'T PEE MYSELF! So, I let out one of my gasps (that I tend to do a lot when something surprises me.......I get it from my mom who gets it from Grandma) and Andrew, who's at the kitchen table on the computer, says, "What? What's wrong?!" So, I say, "I just saw the mouse crawl down the side of the chimney onto the floor next to that cupboard!! He came right down through a hole that comes from RIGHT UNDER MY BED!!!!!!" So, as I'm sitting there (with my legs up, mind you) shaking with fear and disgust (with thoughts running through my mind of what he was doing in all of MY stuff!), Andrew replies with a lighthearted, "WOW! That mouse is pretty talented!!" What?! He obviously has not the fear of mice that I now realize I do!

So, after that, as I was in the bathroom getting ready for my bath, I made as much movement and noise as possible and used the brightest light we have! I always kept my eyes peeled and then went straight to bed! But on my way up to bed, my mind was running away with tons of stupid ideas and I made a comment to Andrew and Iris about the mouse "sleeping" with me upstairs and so Andrew replies with something like, "Oh, you'll be fine. He might just want to snuggle up with you in bed tonight." NOT FUNNY ANDREW!!! So, I caught my breath and said, as calmly as I could, "Will mice really get up into peoples beds and stuff?" They both assured me that, no, they don't. But I was still not so sure because if it can crawl up other stuff (cupboards, cabinets, WALLS) then why couldn't it crawl right up into my bed (whether I'm in it or not)?! Ugh! So, I went quickly to bed, with a big flashlight shining everywhere to make sure I saw nothing. And I was making as much noise as I could (while also making sure to not wake the kids). I checked and re-checked and then had nothing else to do but to lay down in bed (which, don't worry, I checked in between the sheets too)! So, I lay there thinking and stirring and worrying about all this mouse crap. And I eventually realized that this "fear" of mice is not okay for me to have! I am a child of God and He does not give us a spirit of fear, but of peace!! So, I tried to pray for peace and that God would help me to surrender this fear to Him. It took awhile but I eventually felt okay enough to go to sleep. I still am needing God to help me get over this, but I know one thing for sure, everything is better (and less frightening) in the LIGHT OF DAY!! So, when we woke up this morning, all of the traps (actual traps and not just poison) that Andrew had set up before bed, were still empty! Man! Oh well, maybe little "Jerry" will at least get the idea that he is not wanted here and scram! I doubt it, but hey, a girl can hope, can't she?! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH KARISA!!! I am so sorry, I fear mice as well. I will pray for you that you can overcome that fear. I used to go to bed with my flashlight EVERY night in the DR and shine it around the room after my mosquito net was tucked in all secure. WHY DONT YOU HAVE A MOSQUITO NET??? It protects from more than just mosquitoes you know?

Leigh-Ann said...

i needed that laugh. you're so funny and cute. i was the same way though when we had mice last year.... oye-yoy-yoy!

Anonymous said...

OH VANESSA!! How much easier it would be if you and your mosquito net were here to endure this with me! lol! And I can just picture you in the DR! HA! You make me laugh so much! But mostly because it's just like me!! (minus the net- which ticks me off that you waited until NOW to tell me about!) But I totally shine my flashlight alllllll around once I'm going to bed and hurry and get in bed without touching my bare feet to the floor and everything! I think it's OCD and I need to keep praying, seriously about it! :) And Leigh-Ann I'm glad I could bring a little sunshine to your day and good to remember that you've lived with mice too! :) Thanks guys! :)