Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Tonight with the Moje's!

Concha, the neighbor girl. She is such a cutie! And it's sad cause she lives next door with her grandparents and Aunt and Uncle and their kids. Her mom lives and "works" in another town and just leaves her sit, here! That's not an uncommon story in these parts. Really too bad. Anyways, she played with the kids today and then had lunch with us. She cracks me up cause she's so cute and has such a curious look on her face and when I'm around her she just stares at me like I'm a freak show of some sort! Cracks me up! I don't really know what to say to a 5 year old that speaks a different language and so I say a little bit, here and there, and smile lots and she'll eventually put a little smile on but just continues to stare at me like she's trying to figure me out, or something! so funny! :)
We were shooting our very own Milk Add but not all the participants were cooperating (with smiles)! :) They really did get these mustaches without my prompting (at first) but then we needed to keep putting them back on to take more pictures! This is the best one we got! lol!
Concha and Hannah! Concha was sitting there, on her side of the fence, watching us get fire wood and carry it in so I decided she was primed and ready for a photo shoot! LOL!
This is Josiah showing off "his" shoes! He likes to walk around in Hannah's dress up play shoes! lol! He thinks it's cool! :)
Here he wanted me to see the shoe, up close, that he was wearing...so proud, he is! :)



This morning after breakfast I was putting the pot of beans on to boil and realized that I needed more fuel, for the camp stove, cause it was out. So, I went out and filled it from the container that Andrew left for me to do so. It read Camp Fuel and everything so why would I think that Andrew left anything else for me, instead? :) Well, I filled the tank and tried to start the fire on the stove and no luck. I pumped it some more (cause you have to pump this little thing to get the fuel into the area to start the fire- do you like my technical lingo?) and tried to light it and pumped it some more and tried to light it, but all to no avail! It would not work! So, I didn't know what to do! Everything was attached correctly and I knew of no other reason that it wouldn't work. I thought maybe you need to fill it full or else it won't work.....I just didn't have a clue. So, I actually got a fire started in the wood stove (3rd time, by myself!) and put the beans on there (as well as got the kids to bring in tons of wood to fill the wood box, so I could keep the fire going all day (to cook lunch and supper)!

Well, when I talked to Andrew later he was as stumped as I was and decided that he would call his friend, Arturo Moje, to see if he'd be willing to come give it a look (cause he's good at fixing things). That made me a bit nervous cause, for some reason since I've been here, I get all flustered when I try and talk with people (in Spanish, of course). That never used to be a problem but I wonder if it's been a long enough time since I've really used it that I'm not very comfortable in it, anymore. And part of it is probably the fact that I live with a house full of translators so it's easier to sometimes just look at them and say "What'd he say?"! :) Anyways, I was nervous to have people come, who only speak Spanish, to the house and need to do something. But it had to be done because I am basically out of the little, sap filled wood pieces that help start the fire- so there was no telling what we would do tomorrow if we couldn't get a fire going. **Side note, we will be here tomorrow by ourselves as well because the baby has not yet been released from the hospital due to the fact that she is still needing oxygen (not much but enough that it turns her a little blueish when she's not having it) and she is just beginning to eat from a bottle and not just through a tube!**

So, all that to say, Arturo and his wife, Suhey (who I have been calling Suelle because we first thought that's what her name was so I typed it that way. And shortly after we found out it was actually Suhey but I figured it was more hassle than it was worth to explain that to y'all. But now I want to call her the right name, on the blog too, because she's a friend) came over with their two kids, tonight. I done good too! :) I helped him go out to Andrew's workshop and look for the real fuel for the camp stove (because Arturo immediately realized that the fuel Andrew had left for me was not the right stuff....so no wonder it didn't work!) and talked a bit with him and then came inside (while Andrew directed him to where things were while talking to him on the phone) to do the dishes. Well, of course, Suhey insisted on helping me (Mexicans are so friendly and helpful! really! At least the ones that I've ever been around; Mexicans and Guatemalans)! So, it was us two, doing the dishes and "chatting"! Now, I know that you all know at least one person, in your life, who is a talker. A chatter box we might call them? Well, that would be Suhey! She can sure talk, and it doesn't even matter if it's in a language that I'm not fluent in! LOL! She tries to help me understand when I don't but she talks so fast and much that sometimes I just have to nod and smile and let her continue! HA! Funny funny! Anyways, I just thought that tonight was a really positive thing! I enjoyed them both and was able to communicate, for the most part, and yeah. It was good! I realize that I need to get me some Spanish friends, once I get back home, and keep practicing so that I don't lose it all!! But I think I will definitely have friends, right here in San Juanito, for life!

1 comment:

beautiful feet said...

i love reading about your experiences in mexico! especially about with the language, it makes me laugh- yet so happy to hear all that you're experiencing! i have found i have gotten so comfortable here- i often forget what it is like to be in a new, foreign land! i love living through your experiences! :) ~stef