Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Hmmm.........the FREE hospital?

Here's the view I had of the entrance of the lab as I waited for Suelle to do her tests.
San Juanito has some interesting ways of advertising, I've noticed. Here are 2 pictures from the hospital that are to encourage breastfeeding. (This one was a large painting covering an entire wall that was in the passageway into the Hospital!)
The other picture......it's just so different to what I'm used to. Don't worry, there will be more examples from around town, soon enough. :)
Just for a cute pic, here's the new dog that's been hangin around the Bornman residence. The kids named her Pepimento (sp?) which is spanish for Pepper. The kids call her color, gray, but us adults aren't quite sure if she's "gray" because of how dirty she is or if that truly is her coloring. Who knows??? :) She is pretty cute though and I like her better now that Andrew gave her (and the other dogs) the flea/worms/everything shot! Yay for shots! :)




So, today I'm waiting to go to the Dr. in a city that's an hour and a half drive away. It's a long story as to why I'm going there but just know, we prayed about where to go and that the right Doctor would have wisdom as to what my problem is. :) Well, Andrew and I drove around San Juanito this morning and none of the "respectable" doctors were at home. And Andrew just didn't get a good feeling about going to the Free government hospital to see the doctor there. So, we are now going to a highly recommended doctor in Quetemache(sp?). My appointment is at 6:30pm this evening, which is a weird time for a doctor's appointment, but hey, I won't complain cause I want this thing taken care of, for once and for all! As you recall the test they did earlier this week (at the gov. hospital) showed no more amoeba or giardia. But this evening, we're gonna have them do a blood test and figure it out, for sure. So you can pray if you want that the Doctor will have Godly wisdom to know what it is and how to best treat it.

So let me share a bit more about my two trips to this Free hospital in town. :) It's an interesting place, that's for sure. When we took Josiah's stool sample in last Tuesday(the day I started to get sick) it was just so strange. We walked in, because we said we were there to talk to Suelle, Andrew and Iris's friend who works in the lab. And we went back to the lab, found Suelle, and she took the sample back into the lab to test. Not only that, she took us ALL back with her. The kids even got to look in the microscope! It didn't seem too high tech or extremely clean (which is what I think of when I think of a hospital) and it was just crazy that we were back there with her. Something that would never be allowed in the states....at least not as far as I'm aware of. And I didn't see her even wearing gloves or anything! :) Just seems so crazy to me! When we went in with my "sample" this past Monday, we weren't allowed to go back into the lab because there were other of her co-workers working there and I guess it normally wouldn't be done. So, even though it wasn't necessarily the norm that we went back into the hospital lab, it still was strange! On that Tuesday when we went for Josiah, Suelle figured out what he had, giardia, and then went and talked to the doctor who was there and figured out what meds he needed. So, then we walked over to the pharmacy window (in the hospital) and showed them what we needed and they handed it right over! No money, no questions asked!! WOW! Just such a foreign (ha, get it?) thing to me! But I guess when you live in San Juanito and you have no money and so therefore no other choices, you take what you can get. Iris and Andrew say that this hospital is low on the list as far as the nurses and doctors that they get. They get the people that were on the low end of the totem pole in their schooling and therefore, it's a bit scary who may be working on ya when you go there. :) Thankfully, Suelle is a friend of the family and can be trusted! She's such a lovely lady to come in, on her day off, and go through someones po po (what they call it) when she wouldn't have too! I know that wouldn't be my favorite thing to do on my time off from work! Yikes! But then again I don't know if I'd want to do that when I was AT work! :) I'll stick with people's hair, thank you very much! :)

No comments: