Monday, August 27, 2007

More Pictures of Sunday- My birthday, of course!



The Bornman Men!
Another picture of that little girl, with the baby and their older sister (I assume).
Here's a display of some of the Tarahumaran things that they make and then set up to sell at all the touristy places; like there along Copper Canyon.




There are a few stories that I've been meaning to tell but have forgotten to do so until now. One is this: When Andrew took me to Cuetemache, to the doctor's, last week, I had some American cash that I still needed to exchange. Andrew and Iris had said that it was easier to do so when we were in Cuetemache because here, in San Juanito, you could wait in line for hours at the bank to exchange some money so it was better not to "risk" it! So, even though I didn't know how soon we could get my money there to exchange, I still had it, in dollars. So, can you guess how I exchanged my American cash for Mexican pesos??? Well, Andrew drove around the downtown of the city and to a certain corner. I'm not sure of the names of the streets at that corner but Andrew knew just where he was going. So, we pulled up and there were several guys standing out on the corner (not hookin or anything, just standing there) :) and some of them were sittin on the back of a pick-up truck. We hardly even pulled over to the curb and this man was right there, at my window, with a HUGE wad of cash: both dollars and pesos!!! He knew why we were there and he asked me how much I had to exchange. I told him "Ochenta" (which means $80) and he said "Okay." He pulled out his calculator (because these street side money changers are very efficient!). Actually, Andrew said that these guys will give you the best exchange rate you can get at the time! So, hey, better for me! :) So, he pulled out his calculator and showed me what he was punching in, making sure I saw everything that he did. Very honest man, he was! :) He typed in 80 and multiplied it by 10.80 and vuala! He owed me 800 and some pesos for my 80 dollars! It was great! I handed him my money and he counted out my pesos and handed them to me. He even gave me an extra peso! Ha! It's only like a penny (not even) but hey, such an honest business man!! :) It was great! It kinda felt like I was doing something illegal, like dealing drugs alongside the street............Karisa: "Hey, you got the stuff?" Man on street: "Yeah, I got the stuff. You got the money?!" Karisa: "Yeah, of course I got the money. Here it is, in full." Man on street: "Yup, looks like it's all here. Well, here ya go. Now get outta here!"........... So, yeah, seemed like something like that! Anyways, it was an exciting addition to my outing that day and I wonder what the city of Goshen would do with a money changer like that?! Hey, there's an idea! We have so much of the Mexican culture in our city now a days that if we had a money changer like that alongside the street, with pesos and dollars, I could just get my pesos, in Goshen, before I even came down to Mexico! That'd be so much easier! Then I wouldn't have to worry about doing it once I'm here and possibly waiting for hours at the bank to get it changed! Hmmmm........maybe I'm onto something here..............Anyways, I forgot to mention WHY these guys are changing money along the street. Well, Andrew isn't quite sure why but these guys come out there when they need American dollars. Maybe they're going to the states and need some cash before they go or maybe they're doing something illegal....either way, I don't get hurt and I get some money changed. And really, I'm pretty sure it's nothing illegal, just some guys needing some American dollars! :)

No comments: