Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Our trip to town and more!

So, I mentioned yesterday that myself and the kids were possibly going to head into town for a few things, by ourselves. Well, we did just that. I drove the van as the kids rode shotgun and we headed into San Juanito! It was quite an adventure. We got a few groceries from two different stores and then went to the Carnacaria(meat shop) to get some ground hamburger. It's the kind of shop where there's big things of beef hanging right there and tons of meat(un-refrigerated) and the guy ground the meat up for me right then and there when I asked for it. It's weird to get a bag of ground meat, that feels warm......hmmmmm. :) We also stopped into the hardware store so that Samuel could take his little friend, Fernando, a wooden sword that he made him. There were about 6 or 7 guys in this tiny little shop when we walked in but they didn't really realize that I was there because they were so amused at watching the little gringos speak spanish! :) They didn't turn around to see me until Samuel mentioned that he couldn't stay and play because his mom and dad weren't with them. Then they all turned around and looked at me! yay! :) I did get some other stares as we walked down the street and went into different stores but it wasn't too bad...or maybe I was too intent on watching the kids to really take notice. Either way, it was good because I wasn't thinking about it. :) And people were very friendly and didn't act like I was out of place, at least not too much. I also got to use my spanish and that's always good. I met Andrew and Iris' friend, Arturo, who runs the Vet shop and he was very good to help me understand him and to help me speak spanish. He told me to come visit him anytime I was in town and he would help me increase my spanish skills!

Another thing from today, I was outside dumping the slop pot (the pot in the kitchen that we put all the food scraps into for the chickens/dogs/ducks) and I heard the train horn. It is so crazy cause a couple times a day the train goes through (about a half to 3/4 mile behind the Bornman's house) and it sounds just like a train back in Goshen! Crazy, huh, how some things are the same no matter what country you're in! :) Makes me think of the stupid trains in Goshen though and how they always seem to make me even later when I'm already running behind! Oh, and Andrew said that I should take that train (there's passenger cars) to the ocean for a day! My ears perked up and I thought "Oooohhh, my birthday is in about 19 days so that would be awesome, if I could find someone to go with me!" but then I asked Andrew how long it was and he said "Oh, only about a 12 hour ride." Ha! Yeah, that's not gonna happen! Unless someone wants to wire me a few hundred bucks so I can find a hotel once I'm there and pay for someone to go with me! LOL! Anyways, it's always an option if I want to try it out. :)

Okay, well I'm gonna leave it at that for now. Hope you all are doing great!

Karisa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, you could just sleep on the beach! I'm sure you'd be safe...

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah,I'm sure I'd be safe on the beach from people but it's those things that go "bump" or "bite" in the night that would really freak me out! :) By the way, who is Jack?? :)